I just can't seem to make myself tweet. I'm such a square. I know the whole premise of tweeting is to let your friends know what you are doing in simple everyday activities, but I feel ridiculous posting about these types of things. Twitter is also hard if you are a shy person. I'm fine speaking one on one with people or even small groups of people, but I'm not one to advertise or broadcast myself to the masses.
However, twitter would be a great tool for parent communication in my preschool classroom. I could tweet reminders and updates about field trips, reminders about what the children are learning in class, or just use the direct message feature to write a kind note to a parent about their child. I could use a hash tag like #12-13youngft to identify field trip reminders to my parents. I really like the idea about using direct messages to send a quick message to a parent about something their child did well in class. I try to write good notes to my parents as often as possible. Sometimes, during the day, it is hard to write them and get them into their folders by the time the children go home. I think it's very important to say something kind about every child to their parents as often as possible. It just makes for a better home - school relationship.
Since my preschoolers to the most part are pre-readers, I'm not sure how I could actually get the children to use twitter in the classroom. I could possibly let the children dictate something that I could type into twitter for them about a field trip or classroom activity. This could be very similar to their journal activities.

No comments:
Post a Comment