Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Module 4, Assignment 3

     I found ScreenChomp and FaceTime were already loaded onto my iPad.  I loaded Dragon Dictation onto my iPad in a previous Web 2.0 class.  I can see how ScreenChomp could be very useful for teachers in upper grades.  I just can't think of a use for preschoolers at the moment.  I will have to get inventive on that one.  I can't think of a way that I could use FaceTime either, but I will keep trying.  I did try out Dragon Dictation, but they really need to come out with an English to southern translation patch or something.  The word for comes out fur when I speak and the word southern comes out southin in the dictation.  Dragon Dictation was not designed by someone with my accent. 
     The app that I down loaded and played with was 123 Fun: Write & Learn counting numbers.  I had downloaded so many apps for reading and letter recognition that I decided it was time to get an app for math.  This is not a free app, but it was only $2.99.  This is a great price for all the games the app contains.  This language in this app can be switched between English and Spanish, or several other languages if you need it.  This makes it wonderful for use with your English Language Learners.  This app includes 5 categories of number games with three game choices in each category.  The five categories of games include number fun (for numbers 1-20 and counting), writing numbers (gives stroke by stoke animation, template of the number children can trace with their finger, and disable tracing feature so children can practice drawing the numbers independently), recognizing pattern games (it has a number sorting game and 3 different pattern recognition games), Square Face Games (these are multiple choice games to learn number identification and name and symbol relationship), and Matching Games (or memory games). 
     As I have stated earlier, I do not have an iPad in my classroom, but I did purchase the 123 Fun app in my iTunes account.  Maybe I can use it later, if I ever do get an iPad.  That may be a few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment