For this assignment, I looked at iTunes U, downloaded a few podcasts, and found more apps to use in the classroom. Educators can use iTunes U to build a complete online course for free. This was awesome. This would be a wonderful homework helper, especially for older students because teachers can add lectures and resources into their courses along with quizzes and documents. In iTunes U, many major universities have courses with free podcasts you can download to your iPad or iPod. I downloaded the Spanish course and textbook from Arkansas State University. I have found that Spanish has become one of my most useful tools in the teaching profession. I am very glad that my degree required a Spanish minor. I use the language in some form every day. I only wish I had paid more attention in class. I have downloaded this onto my personal iPod touch so I can use it to brush up on my Spanish.
Some apps I discovered in this assignment are Brain POP Featured Movie, Professor Garfield Cyberbullying, Story Kit, The ABC Song, and Geoboard. I liked Brain POP Featured Movie because they have movie clips on many educational topics that I cover in the classroom. I am going to try and use this on my Smartboard. I won't use the quizzes but the videos would be great for my little ones. I might not use Professor Garfield Cyberbullying in my classroom a great deal, but I believe it is a great resource to use in the classroom today. Story Kit is not an app my children would be able to use independently; however, I could let them chose pictures and type in their stories for them as a journal activity. My favorite free app was The ABC Song because it had nine games that taught letter recognition both lower and upper case, letter sounds, alphabetical order, and keyboarding skills. This app also had pleasant voice that gave directions and could be used independently by young children. I would like to use Geoboard with my interactive Smartboard as a tool when the children are learning about shapes.
I would love to have an iPad to use in my classroom just for the great apps like The ABC Song. Preschool doesn't usually get the latest and greatest tech items until the last, but maybe I could write a grant for one. I'll have to check on this.

No comments:
Post a Comment